7th November, 2007, 1pm
Lecture Theatre 1, Cruciform Building, University College London
Download jpg poster (1.5MB)
Download programme and abstracts pdf (428kb)
Held in association with the Geological Society, the meeting focused on ‘Micropalaeontological Heroes’ – worthies who helped found the discipline of micropalaeontology, the scientific contributions that they made and the relevance of their discoveries for current research. The 2007 AGM was TMS’s contributed to the bicentennial celebrations of the Geological Society.
- Prof. Simon J. Knell – The contentious vertebrate: Christian Pander and the conodont in the nineteenth century.
- Prof. John Marshall – Arthur Raistrick, Dalesman of the Millennium and palynologist
- Dr Jeremy Young – The slow discovery of coccolithophores, from Ehrenberg to Lohmann via SorbyWallich and Huxley – heroes and anti-heroes?
- Dr David J. Horne – Ostracods, evolution and religion: George Stewardson Brady (1832-1921) and his scientific collaborators
- Dr Robert Wynn Jones – Henry Bowman Brady, Hero of Foraminiferology: The Man, the Scientist and the Scientific Legacy
Inaugural presentation of TMS Brady Medal to Professor John Murray. Presented by Professor David Siveter with Mr Anthony Stones.
Presentation of Charles Downie Award 2007 to Dr Eleanor Maddison.