View all image entries in our Flickr album.
This is the second year the TMSoc has run our micropalaeontology image competition and once again we received an excellent set of entries. Thank you everyone who took part! After much deliberation, we are delighted to announce that the overall winner is Claudio Stalder of the University of Fribourg, Switzerland, who submitted this amazing SEM image of Thyrsocyrtis sp., an Eocene radiolaria from the Equatorial Atlantic Ocean (Barbados). The radiolaria is approximately 0.07mm in diameter. We would like to congratulate Claudio on capturing such a beautiful image and sharing it with us. Claudio will receive the TMSoc Image Competition prize of $200 in recognition of his success.
As well as Claudio’s winning microfossil image, an additional 11 images have been chosen by the competition committee, each of which was deemed an excellent image and worthy of commendation. This therefore provides us with the 12 images required for the 2016 calendar! Like last year, the calendar has been produced in spiral-bound A4 format with one page per month.
A full list of the winners can be found below:
· Stefano Barone, Italy
· Cintia Yamashita, Oceanographic Institute, University of São Paulo, Brazil
· Luka Šupraha, Department of earth Sciences, Uppsala University, Sweden
· Samuel Martin, Department of Geological Science, East Carolina University, USA
· Silvia Spezziferri, University of Fribourg, Switzerland
· Ulrike Hoff, UiT, the Arctic University of Norway, Tromsø
· Laura Cotton, Naturalis Biodiversity Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
· Claudio Stalder, Department of earth Sciences, University of Fribourg *Overall Winner*
· Simon D’haenens, Yale University, USA
· Valentina Hajek-Tadesse & Marija Horvat, Croatian Geological survey, Zagreb, Croatia
· Robin Dyer, Geostrat Consultants Ltd, UK
· Mariane Valerian Gonzalez, Oceanographic Institute, University of São Paulo, Brazil