Membership of The Micropalaeontological Society is open to anyone. The TMS Constitution and Rules, which set out the Society’s aims and objectives, can be found here.
Membership subscription covers the calendar year from the 1st January to 31st December, with renewal due on the 1st January each year. New memberships placed on or after the 1st September will cover the remainder of that year, plus the following calendar year.
There are two main types of membership: Full (£35), and Student/Retired (£20). Note that the Student rate can be applied for the next two years following the end of your last degree. In addition, Honorary Membership is offered to those individuals who have made an outstanding and sustained contribution to the Society. Honorary Members receive all the benefits of normal membership of the Society free of charge for life.
TMS relies on membership payments to fund its activities, which include organising and sponsoring conferences, workshops and public outreach events, providing financial support for student and early career education and training, funding research through grant schemes, disseminating micropalaeontological research and information via the Journal of Micropalaeontology and the Newsletter of Micropalaeontology, and recognising achievement in the field of micropalaeontology via the TMS awards. Additionally, TMS members are eligible:
- for reduced or waived article processing charges when publishing in the Journal of Micropalaeontology
- for reduced prices in the Geological Society of London bookshop
- for reduced registration fees for TMS meetings
- to apply for funding to support research, training and conference attendance
- to nominate their colleagues and students to receive TMS awards
- to join the committee to participate in the running of the Society
Membership dues, either for new memberships or renewals, can be paid in multiple ways:
- For debit/credit card or PayPal payments in any currency, please follow the link to complete this form. Once you have filled in the details click on “Add to Cart” which will take you through to the PayPal website. After checking what you have ordered and entering payment details you will get to a screen to “Review your payment” before you actually send any money. On this screen there is an option to add a “Message to Treasurer”. Please use this to explain if you want to do anything non-standard, such as paying for a colleague or for another year.
- Alternatively, to pay by cheque (available in sterling only) or direct debit (available from UK banks only), please download and complete this form. For direct debits you will also need to download the direct debit form.
To make sure we have the most up to date contact information for you, just fill in the form below with your name, TMS membership number (this can be left blank if it is not known) and then your current email and postal addresses, as well as any additional information you wish to convey to the membership secretary. If the form returns an error message, click ‘back’ on your web-browser to return to this page. Do not send any confidential and/or financial information via this form, as it is equivalently secure to sending an email to the membership secretary.
If you pay UK income tax please complete a Gift Aid form and send it to the Treasurer. This will enable the TMS to claim back your tax from the Inland Revenue for the benefit of TMS, supporting our activities and keeping membership costs down. It costs you nothing, requires only one form to be completed and lasts as long as you are a member. The Society is also able to claim back tax on subscriptions and donations back to 2001.